Diary of Phyllis Bethel of Topsham Devon

An account of her travels with her husband and her daughter Marion from Wiesbaden in Germany and the Second World war in Topsham Devon as written in her diaries between 1929 and 1953.

17th April 1941

Last night Bertie having been in Exeter went to bed at 10.00pm and fell asleep. I had been in bed since 9, at 10.00pm sirens, so I pulled string of bell which Bertie has now hung between our rooms. Up he got, 15 minutes later all clear back he went to bed to be awakened by an alert at 3 am I slept till 4.am when AA gunfire woke me, At 5.am all was quiet and we went to sleep once more. Heard London had a terrible raid last night, our papers have not come yet at 10.am Up til now always come at 8 am. From middle of February till middle of March London had 18 nights raid free, Bertie asked me if I would consent to Snooksie [Marion] going to USA if he arranged for a passage for her on a Clipper. I refused so of course if anything happens I will get the blame. I cannot imagine the poor child i USA and I over here, unable to take care of her. Just heard our fire engine went to a fire in Honiton and fell into a crater on the way. Nobody was hurt. Anthea came to enquire after Marion said she Mary and Gilly slept under dining room table, their mother and others went under the stairs. Ann came also and said they had spent part of time in toy cupboard under stairs, then went upstairs again and again came down. What a life for the children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home