Diary of Phyllis Bethel of Topsham Devon

An account of her travels with her husband and her daughter Marion from Wiesbaden in Germany and the Second World war in Topsham Devon as written in her diaries between 1929 and 1953.

12th April 1941

Ann Pyne told us the night the bombs fell on airport that her parents "bundled me down stairs into the shelter"... "which is a toy cupboard under the stairs" she added
2pm sirens. My book continues malgre moi,[despite me] it has a way of taking me by the hands and pulling me along with it. Just before I began it I had the feeling as if something was about to burst out of me, rather like an eggshell must feel when the chicken is ready to come out of it! I wonder if the publisher will think it a good or bad thing that my story came out of me? As each chapter gets finished I read it to marion and her father and I watch her reactions. During one scene she began to gett wriggly which we considered a good sign for the book. Am just going to bed and listening for the sirens, so as to warn the others who are playing the piano. Sirens just went at 9.pm. Last night I was awakened at2.pm by the sound of machine gunning. Heard today it was airport being machine gunned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home