Diary of Phyllis Bethel of Topsham Devon

An account of her travels with her husband and her daughter Marion from Wiesbaden in Germany and the Second World war in Topsham Devon as written in her diaries between 1929 and 1953.

29th March 1941

No alerts for 7 days now. great rejoicing over the uprising in Yugoslavia, if only some of the enslaved countries could follow suit, so that some end of the war in view. Women being conscripted now. Lots of evacuees in Topsham from London, Bristol and Plymouth. No-one allowed to go to Plymouth now.Took Anne Pyne for a walk and saw two cats one rather fat, which caused Marion to ask if she were going to have kittens. Ann promptly said "I will listen and see if I hear them squeak" and putting her head down on the cat. She loves bringing us wild flowers. Asked me the other day if I noticed that she stuttered, which is a very marked characteristic of hers. Took some daffodils to cemetery for father's birthday, memorial being erected. Now that the jam and syrup ration has been reduced 1/2 lb per person per month, we are reduced to using barley sugar sweets [when one can get them to sweeten fruit puddings. Milk is to be rationed now also which will be bad for this family as we use so much, Marion is so fond of it.
I was going out this morning, an alert sounded at 11.00am but only lasted 15 minutes. Marion went to Gilly's birthday today and gave her a book. I have at last started writing a consecutive story, often I have had the urge, but it has never burst forth with such force before. This story has been inspired by the memory of my father, during my childhood in Australia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home