Diary of Phyllis Bethel of Topsham Devon

An account of her travels with her husband and her daughter Marion from Wiesbaden in Germany and the Second World war in Topsham Devon as written in her diaries between 1929 and 1953.

8th December 1936

Lucy's mama invited us in their box to 'Hansel & Gretel' and 'Puppenfee". Marion looked sweet, like Lord Fauntleroy, in her blue velvet dress, with net frilled collars and cuffs. She was very excited at being up till 10 o'clock at night and told the French governess she was "I am quite a big lady, I can stay up fill 10". Marion was a bit afraid of the witch and put her arm around Lucy's neck. When the witch took the children prisoner, Marion turned to Lucy's mama and said 'I stuck my tongue out at the old witch". Later, when in Puppenfee the English Lord and his family came in, Lucy's mama said "There comes the stiff English family", Marion promptly turned to her and said "English people are always stiff". When Lucy admired Marion's frock. she said to her 'You would hardly believe it, but Mummy makes all my frocks and my grandma smocks them. Perhaps you have not heard, my grandma has crippled fingers."
Today Marion's Daddy said "I suppose Lucy's Mama reads to her." 'Oh no," she replied, "her mama is rich, she would not do that, like my mummy. My mummy is a real mummy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home